Immigrant dies in Amygdaleza detention center

By clandestina

A 52-year-old man, held at the immigrant detention center at Amygdaleza, has passed away, after being taken to the Agia Olga hospital.

According to reports the 52-year-old man complained about problems with his health before being taken to the hospital for treatment, where he died a few hours later.

This is the fifth death of an immigrant held in a Greek detention center since the launching of “Xenius Zeus” police operation. Three died because there is insufficient medical assistance, one died under “undefined circumstances” and one immigrant committed suicide.

…read more

From: Clandestine

Press Release: Unaccompanied minor severely self-injured himself in Moria “first reception” detention centre in Lesvos

By momo

PRESS RELEASE 21.07.14 Lesvos

Unaccompanied minor severely self-injured himself in Moria “first reception” detention centre in Lesvos

On 17/7/2014 a 17-year-old Afghan who had been detained for many days in Moria awaiting his transfer to a special reception centre for minors cut his arms in an act of despair and protest as he could not stand anymore being closed up for many days and under such conditions. He was transferred to the psychiatry department of the local hospital.

In Greece there are 10 reception centres for unaccompanied minors with about 330 places in total that need to cover the needs of thousands. At the same time that a vast number of reception places are lacking many minors fear long detention upon arrival in Greece in so called First Reception Camps (detention centres) if they register with their real age and register themselves as adults. The background: Unaccompanied minors arriving in first reception centres have to undergo a number of medical examinations and then wait for a place in one of the overcrowded reception centres in order to be released. The detention duration varies and can reach one month or more months, while delays depend on the crowdedness in the reception facilities.

As a …read more

From: infomobile greece

Press Release: Unaccompanied minor severely self-injured himself in Moria “first reception” detention centre in Lesvos

By momo

PRESS RELEASE 21.07.14 Lesvos

Unaccompanied minor severely self-injured himself in Moria “first reception” detention centre in Lesvos

On 17/7/2014 a 17-year-old Afghan who had been detained for many days in Moria awaiting his transfer to a special reception centre for minors cut his arms in an act of despair and protest as he could not stand anymore being closed up for many days and under such conditions. He was transferred to the psychiatry department of the local hospital.

In Greece there are 10 reception centres for unaccompanied minors with about 330 places in total that need to cover the needs of thousands. At the same time that a vast number of reception places are lacking many minors fear long detention upon arrival in Greece in so called First Reception Camps (detention centres) if they register with their real age and register themselves as adults. The background: Unaccompanied minors arriving in first reception centres have to undergo a number of medical examinations and then wait for a place in one of the overcrowded reception centres in order to be released. The detention duration varies and can reach one month or more months, while delays depend on the crowdedness in the reception facilities.

As a …read more

From: Lesvos

Greece wants more EU-money for more detention centres due to increase in arrivals

By momo

Greece needs more EU funds for immigration, minister says

Greece needs more funding from the European Union to deal with the increased flow of undocumented immigrants in the eastern Aegean, Public Order Minister Vassilis Kikilias said in an interview with Sunday’s Kathimerini.

According to the minister, there has been an 800 percent increase in the number of irregular migrants reaching Greece via boat from Turkey over the last two years.

He said that Greece was finding it increasingly difficult to deal with this influx and that it would require further funding from the EU, which has recently reduced the budget for its Frontex border agency.

Kikilias said Greece has asked for emergency funding to cover the cost of hosting migrants in reception centers and to create a mobile unit to process asylum applications.

“On the one hand it is our duty to protect our borders, on the other it is also our duty to provide humane holding conditions to migrants, who are, after all, human souls in absolute misery,” he said.

source: ekathimerini (in English)

…read more

From: infomobile greece

17-year-old Afghan self-injured himself to protest detention in Lesvos

By momo

Moria in April 2014 while the construction of the fences was not yet finished

A 17-year-old Afghan self-injured himself to protest against the long detention duration in Moria “first Reception” detention camp in Lesvos, Greece.

He has been transferred to the psychiatric clinic of Lesvos Bostation Hospital. According to infos provided by UNHCR GReece unaccompanied minors have stayed even up to two months in Moria awaiting transfer to a special open camp for separated children. The long duration of detention is the reason for many minors to register themselves as adults in fear of being locked up long periods. Anyway, thereby they loose not only their rights as children but also often end up in 18 month (and longer) detention as adults in one of the many pre-removal detention centres at the mainland.

Moria in April 2014 while the construction of the fences was not yet finished

efimerida ton sindakton (in greek)

…read more

From: infomobile greece

PM 14.7.: Welcome back O-Platz – Polizeiübergriffe

By home

Am Sonntag, den 13.07. zog gegen 17:30 mit einer Feier und geplanten Demonstration die Mahnwache der Flüchtlinge vom Oranienplatz auf die andere Seite des Platzes zum Infopoint um. Damit wird eine neue Phase der politischen Flüchtlingsarbeit vom Oranienplatz ausgehend eingeläutet, so wie dies im Rahmen der Verhandlungen mit dem Senat Anfang des Jahres vertraglich fixiert ist: Der Oranienplatz als „Informations- und Protestplattform für die Rechte der Flüchtlinge (…) durch die derzeitigen Bewohnerinnen und Bewohner und die UnterstützerInnen selbständig entschieden“, so das Einigungspapier Oranienplatz vom April 2014 als Resultat der Verhandlungen mit dem Senat. Nach wie vor sind die Ziele:

– Abschaffung der Lager – Abschaffung der Residenzpflicht – Abschaffung der Deportationspolitik. In Anbetracht der neuesten Ereignisse sind außerdem zu nennen: – Solidarität mit der immer noch bedrohten und immer noch von Flüchtlingen besetzten Gerhart-Hauptmannn-Schule – Solidarität mit ebenfalls marginalisierten Gruppen wie den von Abschiebung bedrohten Roma – die Forderung nach einer Umsetzung von § 23 AufenthG in Berlin – die Forderung nach deutlichen Änderungen in Hinblick auf die menschenverachtende Politik von Dublin II und III sowie den aktuellen Asylgesetzänderungen auf Bundesebene.

Zu Beginn der Demonstration, die zunächst über Moritzplatz, Ritterstraße und Kotti zurück zum Oranienplatz führen sollte und die ebenso wie das …read more

From: Berlin

PM 14.7.: Welcome back O-Platz – Polizeiübergriffe

By home

Am Sonntag, den 13.07. zog gegen 17:30 mit einer Feier und geplanten Demonstration die Mahnwache der Flüchtlinge vom Oranienplatz auf die andere Seite des Platzes zum Infopoint um. Damit wird eine neue Phase der politischen Flüchtlingsarbeit vom Oranienplatz ausgehend eingeläutet, so wie dies im Rahmen der Verhandlungen mit dem Senat Anfang des Jahres vertraglich fixiert ist: Der Oranienplatz als „Informations- und Protestplattform für die Rechte der Flüchtlinge (…) durch die derzeitigen Bewohnerinnen und Bewohner und die UnterstützerInnen selbständig entschieden“, so das Einigungspapier Oranienplatz vom April 2014 als Resultat der Verhandlungen mit dem Senat. Nach wie vor sind die Ziele:

– Abschaffung der Lager – Abschaffung der Residenzpflicht – Abschaffung der Deportationspolitik. In Anbetracht der neuesten Ereignisse sind außerdem zu nennen: – Solidarität mit der immer noch bedrohten und immer noch von Flüchtlingen besetzten Gerhart-Hauptmannn-Schule – Solidarität mit ebenfalls marginalisierten Gruppen wie den von Abschiebung bedrohten Roma – die Forderung nach einer Umsetzung von § 23 AufenthG in Berlin – die Forderung nach deutlichen Änderungen in Hinblick auf die menschenverachtende Politik von Dublin II und III sowie den aktuellen Asylgesetzänderungen auf Bundesebene.

Zu Beginn der Demonstration, die zunächst über Moritzplatz, Ritterstraße und Kotti zurück zum Oranienplatz führen sollte und die ebenso wie das …read more

From: Berlin

Keine Krankenscheine für Flüchtlinge vom Oranienplatz und Gerhart-Hauptmann-Schule – Senat verweigert dringend nötige medizinische Versorgung

By home

Das Berliner Landesamt für Gesundheit und Soziales LAGeSo übernimmt zwar die Kosten der Unterbringung und der monatlichen Geldleistungen für die Flüchtlinge vom Oranienplatz und die ehemaligen BewohnerInnen der Gerhart-Hauptmann-Schule, verweigert aber nachdrücklich die Ausstellung von Krankenscheinen. Schwerwiegende körperliche und psychische Erkrankungen wie Epilepsie, Hepatitis, Lungenentzündung, posttraumatische Belastungsstörungen und Angstpsychosen werden nicht behandelt. Auch die Nachversorge eines am Darm notoperierten Mannes wird verweigert. Die nach dem Infektionsschutzgesetz zwingend vorgeschriebenen Untersuchungen für BewohnerInnen von Gemeinschaftsunterkünften finden ebenfalls nicht statt.

Georg Classen, Sozialrechtsexperte des Berliner Flüchtlingsrats erklärt dazu: „Es ist unverantwortlich, dass der Senat die Flüchtlinge zwar unterbringt, ihnen dabei aber das existenziellste aller Grund- und Menschenrechte verweigert – das Recht auf Gesundheit und medizinische Versorgung.“

Das Menschenrecht auf Gesundheit wird in Art. 25 Allgemeine Erklärung der Menschenrechte und Art. 35 Europäische Grundrechtecharta garantiert. Das Grundrecht auf Gesundheit ist Teil des in den Verfassungsgerichtsurteilen zum ALG II und zum Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz bestätigten Grundrechts auf eine menschenwürdige Existenzsicherung.1

Nach dem Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz und SGB XII sind die Flüchtlinge vom Oranienplatz und aus der Gerhart-Hauptmann-Schule leistungsberechtigt, auch hinsichtlich medizinischer Versorgung. Der “tatsächliche” Aufenthalt, verbunden mit materieller Bedürftigkeit (keine Krankenversicherung, kein ausreichendes Einkommen) reicht für den sozialrechtlichen Anspruch auf Existenzsicherung einschließlich Krankenhilfe aus.2

Durch die faktische Duldung der Flüchtlinge zunächst auf …read more

From: Berlin

Keine Krankenscheine für Flüchtlinge vom Oranienplatz und Gerhart-Hauptmann-Schule – Senat verweigert dringend nötige medizinische Versorgung

By home

Das Berliner Landesamt für Gesundheit und Soziales LAGeSo übernimmt zwar die Kosten der Unterbringung und der monatlichen Geldleistungen für die Flüchtlinge vom Oranienplatz und die ehemaligen BewohnerInnen der Gerhart-Hauptmann-Schule, verweigert aber nachdrücklich die Ausstellung von Krankenscheinen. Schwerwiegende körperliche und psychische Erkrankungen wie Epilepsie, Hepatitis, Lungenentzündung, posttraumatische Belastungsstörungen und Angstpsychosen werden nicht behandelt. Auch die Nachversorge eines am Darm notoperierten Mannes wird verweigert. Die nach dem Infektionsschutzgesetz zwingend vorgeschriebenen Untersuchungen für BewohnerInnen von Gemeinschaftsunterkünften finden ebenfalls nicht statt.

Georg Classen, Sozialrechtsexperte des Berliner Flüchtlingsrats erklärt dazu: „Es ist unverantwortlich, dass der Senat die Flüchtlinge zwar unterbringt, ihnen dabei aber das existenziellste aller Grund- und Menschenrechte verweigert – das Recht auf Gesundheit und medizinische Versorgung.“

Das Menschenrecht auf Gesundheit wird in Art. 25 Allgemeine Erklärung der Menschenrechte und Art. 35 Europäische Grundrechtecharta garantiert. Das Grundrecht auf Gesundheit ist Teil des in den Verfassungsgerichtsurteilen zum ALG II und zum Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz bestätigten Grundrechts auf eine menschenwürdige Existenzsicherung.1

Nach dem Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz und SGB XII sind die Flüchtlinge vom Oranienplatz und aus der Gerhart-Hauptmann-Schule leistungsberechtigt, auch hinsichtlich medizinischer Versorgung. Der “tatsächliche” Aufenthalt, verbunden mit materieller Bedürftigkeit (keine Krankenversicherung, kein ausreichendes Einkommen) reicht für den sozialrechtlichen Anspruch auf Existenzsicherung einschließlich Krankenhilfe aus.2

Durch die faktische Duldung der Flüchtlinge zunächst auf …read more

From: Berlin

Refugee women are getting loud! Action tour across Germany

By home

english/deutsch

Dan­ger­ous jour­neys, pushed around all over Eu­rope, housed in col­lec­tive homes which are of­ten far away from any in­fra­struc­ture, vouch­ers, work ban, a daily fight for ad­e­quate med­ical care, per­ma­nent fear of be­ing de­ported … and in ad­di­tion sex­ism, as each woman exper­iences on top of that … we refugee women have every rea­son to get loud and to de­mand a life in hu­man dig­nity.

We invite all refugee women to get loud together with us!
In summer 2014, we want to participate, along with other refugee women, in a project of the musician Heinz Ratz and his band Strom & Wasser: On rafts we will travel on rivers and canals, from July 14^th to August 27th, from Nuremberg to Berlin. This will be a floating demonstra­tion to draw attention to the situation of refugee women and children, and to loudly voice our demands in public.

certs will become an encounter between the German audience and refugee women. You can find the dates of the tour at: http://www:strom-wasser.de

We want to use this tour together with you to network with refugee women, other refugee organisations and to talk with refugee women all over Germany. We will report on our experiences during the …read more

From: Berlin

Refugee women are getting loud! Action tour across Germany

By home

english/deutsch

Dan­ger­ous jour­neys, pushed around all over Eu­rope, housed in col­lec­tive homes which are of­ten far away from any in­fra­struc­ture, vouch­ers, work ban, a daily fight for ad­e­quate med­ical care, per­ma­nent fear of be­ing de­ported … and in ad­di­tion sex­ism, as each woman exper­iences on top of that … we refugee women have every rea­son to get loud and to de­mand a life in hu­man dig­nity.

We invite all refugee women to get loud together with us!
In summer 2014, we want to participate, along with other refugee women, in a project of the musician Heinz Ratz and his band Strom & Wasser: On rafts we will travel on rivers and canals, from July 14^th to August 27th, from Nuremberg to Berlin. This will be a floating demonstra­tion to draw attention to the situation of refugee women and children, and to loudly voice our demands in public.

certs will become an encounter between the German audience and refugee women. You can find the dates of the tour at: http://www:strom-wasser.de

We want to use this tour together with you to network with refugee women, other refugee organisations and to talk with refugee women all over Germany. We will report on our experiences during the …read more

From: Berlin

11.07.14 Shipwreck near Samos: 6 dead, 23 survivors and more than 8 missing

By momo

On the early noon of Sunday 11th of July a refugee boat got in distress 10nm North East of Karlovasi, Samos. The refugee boat carrying approximately 35-40 people was a sailing boat according to the testimonies of the survivors.
The causes of the shipwreck are not yet clear. The media speak about bad weather conditions, overloaded boat, panic, sudden movement of the passengers etc as possible causes.

On Sunday there are 15 survivors in the Greek side (9 were brought to Chios, 6 to Samos) and 8 survivors on the Turkish side (2 near the shipreck area and 6 norhernof this area). In Samos Hospital (ICU) there is a minor in intensive care. They were trying to transfer him to Mytilini ICU but his severe health condition made the transfer impossible.

2 corpses were found Friday on the Greek side: a dead man and a dead woman and 2 more bodies (of a man and a boy) were found on Saturday also on the Greek side. Another two corpses were found on the Turkish side.

At least 8 persons are still missing.

The rescue operation was carried out with 4 Greek coast guard …read more

From: Lesvos

11.07.14 Shipwreck near Samos: 4 dead, 23 survivors and more than 8 missing

By momo

On the early noon of Sunday 11th of July a refugee boat got in distress 10nm North East of Karlovasi, Samos. The refugee boat carrying approximately 35-40 people was a sailing boat according to the testimonies of the survivors.
The causes of the shipwreck are not yet clear. The media speak about bad weather conditions, overloaded boat, panic, sudden movement of the passengers etc as possible causes.

On Sunday there are 15 survivors in the Greek side (9 were brought to Chios, 6 to Samos) and 8 survivors on the Turkish side (2 near the shipreck area and 6 norhernof this area). In Samos Hospital (ICU) there is a minor in intensive care. They were trying to transfer him to Mytilini ICU but his severe health condition made the transfer impossible.

2 corpses were found Friday on the Greek side: a dead man and a dead woman and 2 more bodies (of a man and a boy) were found on Saturday.

At least 8 persons are still missing.

The rescue operation was carried out with 4 Greek coast guard boats, 1 helicopter and 5 boats that were sailing in the area that …read more

From: infomobile greece

L’union fait la force ! * Unity is strength !

By consensusdecisionmaking URGENT : le nouveau squat a besoin derenforts A Calais, dix jours après la rafle du 2 juillet, quelque 300 personnes – migrantes et soutiens – se sont installées dans une usine désaffectées (au 10 impasse des Salines). L’entrée dans ces nouveaux locaux s’est produite à l’issue de la manifestation qui, à l’appel d’associations, s’est […] …read more

From: calaismigrantsolidarity